Pages


Friday, August 12, 2011

Pastel de nata

Always embracing my sweet tooth, touching down in the first city in Portugal. The first thing that came up on my mind is EGG TART then the grapes. It was a 4 hr journey all the way from Santiago de compostela, ride was pleasant... and thank god there is air conditioning in the bus.

Porto, is the city which took up 2 days of my whole trip. Having all the luggage put in places, no problem in the checking in. The next Q i asked the reception was :" Any recommendation for good EGG TARTS??" yes my eyes came alive, almost shimmering like how anime characters' eye enlarged when they got excited.

R : air tuck?
Me : no Egg tart ( still slightly hopping around)
R: er.. huh??
Me : Yellow, EGGGG with black black burn bitssss (slightly annoyed)
R: Pastel de nata? (start googling image )
ME : YEAH! Thats it!
R: Why do u guys call it egg tart?

the pasty

Add caption



Now i've learned, they don't call it egg tart! A Pastel de nata is a Portuguese egg tart pastry. Something really close to my heart. Still remember the first time i tried it, when i was in primary school. Sold in Southern bakery , right beside the Gk supermarket by the roundabout. If you're not a Miri-an... u could just ignore this part.

from left to right, some bacon-cheese-bread layered stuff, strawberry cream tart, egg tart, nuts tart.

there u go, a cut up Pastel del nata


I remember the pastry flakes in my mouth, custards melt on my tongue, both texture mixed up in the mouth is amazing. So as you can see the expectation is really high especially coming from Portugal ! So we were lead to this pastry shop where we order quite a bunch of weird looking stuff to share. The first cut into the "egg tart" was a dismay... i don't recall the base pastry to be that thin.. and i don't see flakes flaking ... My first bite into it was another let down... overpoweringly sweet custard has ruining my palette ... =( had to wash it down with the watermelon tea i've ordered.... Very much disappointed and coming from Porto's pastry

4 side mirror  interior

Then i insisted, we order the wrong egg tart, the egg start aren't suppose to be that huge... tBought a smaller version one. As expected, another big disappointment. It's my first WTF moment in 10 days of travel and hopefully pastel de nata in Lisbon would do it justice.. otherwise it would be like a undone task that will haunt me for the rest of my life T_T and yes i am that big of a fan when it comes to egg tarts. 

#2 attempt ... still no good

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the really good ones are in Macau :)

Jnbl said...

Yeah I act heard that as well ! I guess there is hope again ? :) but having said that . I will be stopping by Lisbon and head to the origins of this thing :) will let u know then how it is !